Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Response to reading D&Z ch.1&2



          After reading chapters 1&2 of “Subjects Matter”, I can honestly say that I already think differently about teaching. Walking into this you figure, I like a subject and I’d really like to teach it. You know it’s going to be a lot of work and that eventually you’ll learn everything you’ll need to know and you’ll get there. When I actually sat down and read the two chapters I realized, oh my goodness this is it! This was my wake up call; I’m learning to actually do it.

           The very first topic in chapter one was Reading for Real. This section really puts things into perspective on how much reading is overlooked and forgotten. As a substitute teacher at an elementary, middle and high school, I hear teachers say all the time; “Weren't they supposed to learn this back at Martin?” (the elementary school). The authors bring up a good point that teachers think somewhere in elementary school students were shorted on phonics and that’s why they struggle with a textbook, aren't good readers or don’t like to read (pg 22-23). It’s interesting because even today I hear teachers mentioning the word phonics, but after reading this sections and remembering a thing or two from my anthropology class last year; phonics really has nothing to do with the problem with reading in schools. They explain how phonics is just the sound-symbol correspondence between spoken and printed language; basically sounding the word out. I really like how the authors dragged out the reading concept and explained how it’s an active process and went through the thinking strategies effective readers’ posses.
   
         It’s true because I can see it in myself. Myself, I consider myself a terrible reader. I read very slowly, and I have to reread things once or twice and to make sure it sticks, I have to read a section, go back and take some notes. This doesn't mean something is wrong with me, I just learn differently and take a little bit more time. The catch is that I had to be taught how to read and how to deal with the way I learn and go forward. My teachers taught me to take notes, how to choose which ideas were important and which could be left out. I had to be taught to read a paragraph, stop, gather my thoughts, and then write. I think this is the kind of reading the authors are talking about at the end of chapter one. That there really are two visions of reading, the first that is just the regular way of reading where you read and answer questions or you read real-life book, articles and stories that students can relate to and then do something fun with it. Like the students who learned about fast food and learned about how unhealthy McDonald’s food really is. These two visions are really two different approaches to teaching reading. The first is generic and simple but it doesn't provide meaning. The second approach is all about differentiation; different reading materials, new tools, different assignments that all lead to one concept or theme.

4 comments:

  1. Your post was really interesting to me because we have completely opposite views from the reading as I see how phonetics can be an issue. I could be a bit biased since I can't hear phonetically, which apparently is something only a small percent of the population is born with. So I think that is why I really narrowed in on that section.

    However, if you look at my post, I speak about more than student's who have my disability. I also wonder about ESL students who are in the mainstream classroom, like at CF, and students who are illiterate. So, I am asking you a question I pondered in my blog, which was: what do I do with students who might actually have some sort of basic reading problem?

    As much as the second approach is eye opening, for many of the reasons you listed above, I hesitate to apply this to everyone. I still think everyone needs to be challenged and most students can handle this new eye-opening approach, but only if you build off of the first approach, because neither is completely separate in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading through your post I can see your point Kendra. I don't disagree with you, I think phonetics are important, I just chose to focus on the problem with reading in secondary schools. In response to your question: for students who have a reading problem, typically in secondary schools you could consult the special education program first to see if there is a medical issue that is interfering. If there isn't, (like in my case I am a slower reader but I don't have a medical issue) then as a teacher you could suggest an after school reading group to parents of kids you all share a reading problem. Maybe small groups of 3-4 depending how many students in you class there are. Or even an approach from RTI, and give those students more time, one on one help with reading. It's true, in order to teach with differentiation, there has to be a solid foundation which comes from the first approach. And it can't be applied to everyone, since every student and classroom is different. Both approaches to reading aren't really separate because you could do a little of the two, just not one or the other because after a while the same routine will become boring.

      Delete
    2. Amy thank you for the thoughtful response. I like how you would take the time to consult with another teacher and have after school activities to mitigate the reading problem for those students as much as possible.

      Delete
  2. I remeber that class Amy. True that phonics is jsut connecting sounds to the printed word. I still think though that the fundementals need to be tought too in conjunction with what was describe in those first two chapters. Just teaching to sound out words is just as bad as teaching to find meaning without phonics. Both go hand in hand. When doing the obsevations at the middle school last semester one of the teachers commented that in the class there were students reading at the kindergarten level. They just couldn't pronounce the words to understand the meaning. When they heard it spoke they understood, but they couldn't connect the printed word to speech. He also had the students would could read the words with no problem but thats all. Comprehension was't there. I just think both are equally important. It's an old saying I think you need to lean to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run. Teaching the fundamentals is important, teaching beyond that is just as important also.

    ReplyDelete